Values and ambitions
We believe that the contribution older people make to society is invaluable. Yet older people remain some of the poorest and most neglected in the world. We are committed to helping them claim their rights, challenge discrimination and overcome poverty.
Our vision and mission
Our vision is of a world in which all older people can lead dignified, active, healthy and secure lives.
We work with our partners to ensure that people everywhere understand how much older people contribute to society and that they must enjoy their right to healthcare, social services and economic and physical security.
Our global actions to 2015
- Enable older men and women to have secure incomes.
- Enable older men and women and those they support to receive quality health, HIV and care services.
- Enable older men and women to actively participate in and be better supported during emergency and recovery situations.
- Build global and local movements that enable older men and women to challenge age discrimination and claim their rights
- Support a growing global network of organizations to work effectively with and for older men and women.
We have established targets for each of our five main areas of work, which are set out in the HelpAge Strategy to 2015.
How we work
- We put older men and women at the heart of our work, involving them in program design, implementation and review.
- We work in partnership with like-minded organizations.
- We provide services where governments do not.
- We respond to emergencies quickly and effectively.
- We develop ways of improving older people's lives by monitoring our programs.
- We persuade policy makers to address aging issues.