For nearly 25 years, HelpAge has been working with Sudanese communities to address older people's most pressing needs.
We now work in West Darfur and Khartoum and in 12 internally displaced people camps with people forced to flee their homes by the West Darfur conflict.
Here we provide services such as:
- eye care
- support for small businesses
- literacy training
- social activites
In recent years, we began work in West Darfur and Khartoum and in 12 camps for internally displaced people (IDPs) forced to flee their homes due to the conflict in West Darfur. We have been providing shelter and non-food items (NFIs) for older IDPs and their dependents.
Our past accomplishments include:
• Helping 4,977 vulnerable older people access healthcare through our 34-strong donkey ambulance referral service, where donkeys and carts are used to transport older people to clinics. Working with 16 medical agencies, we make up to 1,000 referrals each month.
• Implementing 3 mobile eye clinics in West and North Darfur targeting 10,800 people.
• Establishing 2 more eye camps were established in Zalingei and Kulbus reaching 12,645 people.
• Providing 3,942 vulnerable older people food baskets to prevent them from being malnourished while 8,727 were given supplementary food baskets to rehabilitate from malnourishment.
• Establishing 18 social centers which are attended by up to 1,800 people each month.
• Providing shelter, healthcare and food to more than 21,000 older people and their relatives, including children in their care, in West Darfur.
• We have restored the sight of older people in West and North Darfur by providing cataract surgery.
We will focus on a three-year project that aims to:
- empower older people in the poorest areas of Khartoum.
- reduce poverty and increase quality of life among vulnerable older people in Sudan.
- target 500,000 poorer older people across four areas of the capital.
- improve their health and quality of life.
- increase their access to services and entitlements.
Sudan Society with Care for Older People (SSCOP), Sudan Red Crescent Society (SRCS), National Organisation for the Blind, Pioneer for Peace and Development Organisation